Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Interview with Kayte


On this special day I'm posting an interview with a very special lady. Kayte, whom you may know from Mermaid Eyes, has recently released a brand new blog called Katie Imaginary. It is full of unique ideas and thought-provoking articles. She has also started this amazing project called Define "Queer", in which she'll interview people that don't fit into the heterosexual box of either male or female due to their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.

She's a very busy bee who has, and will continue to, keep us entertained, inspired and informed. And today she's here to answer some of my questions. Off we go!

How did you get started blogging?
The answer varies every time I'm asked this, because I never know which time to reference! I suppose I’ll answer for all of them!
The first time I started blogging, it was organic. I think I morphed from a MySpace poetry blog to a BlogSpot poetry blog to a WordPress poetry blog to a Wordpress photo blog to a Wordpress spiritiuality blog to a Wordpress personal blog. I’m not sure where I went after that -- probably more personal blogs until I started Mermaid Eyes on March 31, 2011. The point is, it just happened. I’m born to write and my opinionated nature & writing style suit me to blogging. I also love being heard, so writing online has always made sense. I’ve been doing that for four or so years now.
When I started Mermaid Eyes in spring 2011, it was a concious effort to get my name noticed, as well as an outlet for optimism in the midst of the messy, chaotic world I was inhabiting at that time. I read a lot of Gala Darling and thought, well, if she can get famous blogging – why couldn’t I?
A month or so ago, I started Katie Imaginary, which right now functions as my mainly article-based blog, with Mermaid Eyes hosting everything else I can think of: memes, photos, short articles, contests, sponsor posts, etc. When I started Katie Imaginary, I wanted to make a more cohesive place to store my writing online. Mermaid Eyes, if you dig far enough back in the archives, is a bit scattered and messy, and the whole blog isn’t very focused. I decided to start Katie Imaginary for a fresh slate, a new start, and so I could truly be myself.

What do you hope people take from your blog?
Inspiration to keep on trying, keep on improving, keep on striving, and keep on adventuring. I want people to read my posts and take away rad ideas that jump-start them into action. On the other hand, I want to comfort people too. There’s a lot of people in this world who are just miserable – trust me, I used to be one of them! – and I want my blog to make them feel some kind of hope and solace. I’d like to say that my blog is split between posts that offer adventurous ideas for a sparkly lifestyle, and posts that offer a technological shoulder to cry on.

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?
I’d let people know that to change their lives, all they have to do is change their attitude and change their expectations. If everyone knew – and used, and put into regular action – that information, we’d be a world full of dynamic creators, logic-lovers, and helping hands. The world would literally heal itself if it was populated by that kind of person.

What gets you in the creative-zone?
A cup of English breakfast tea and a clock that says it’s past midnight! I’m such a night owl. I love writing late at night and I get my best writing done then too.

What does your perfect Sunday look like?
Honestly, I don’t like Sundays much. I’m bad at relaxing, and for some reason there’s something about the laid-back attitude of my family on Sundays that drives me up the wall with restlessness. My dream Sunday would be a repetition of my drean Saturday: lock myself in my room with tea and my words!

If your life had a soundtrack what would it be?
Lullaby radio stations on Pandora. I’m playing the “Rockabye Baby” one right now, and it’s totally perfect!

Do you have a role model or someone that inspires you tremendously?
My great-granddad! He passed when I was little, but I still feel incredibly connected to him. I draw a lot of strength from my heritage, and knowing that I have such a strong spirit backing my choices empowers me tremendously.  

And finally, what do you have in store for us on your blog this year?
I don’t know! I’m figuring it out as I go along. :D


Thanks, Kayte, for doing this interview!

I hope you all enjoyed it:)

Be sure to hop on over to Katie Imaginary (as well as Kayte's other blog Mermaid Eyes) to catch up on her blogposts and to say hi!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this interview and getting to know Kayte!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a doll! Can't wait to read more of her lovely blog(s)!
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great interview and I totally am the same way with my blogging! It seems that the more you plan things out the more room for error so I just wing it! Great post!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    CAKED Vintage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...