Wednesday, April 22, 2015

(mtb) Decluttering: Starting Easy


For as long as I can remember I've had a hard time letting go of items. And I also really loved the thrill of getting something new. The perfect recipe for a vicious cycle… a cycle I'm now breaking by making downsizing my belongings a new priority. I started with something that's easy for me to part with. Toiletries.

~

I had (ok, have) quite a big stockpile of skincare and cosmetics. However, I read that you can not keep those things for ever, studies show even sealed ones "go bad" eventually. So I went through my stuff and threw out the vast majority of what I had. Open bottles that had been in my shower forever and that I either didn't like or that had begun to look a little dodgy; Lush products that had expired years ago; any usused things I had had for way too long… (I figured that if you know a certain store/brand has had a few label changes since, it is probably time to throw it out.)

There were also things that were still good, but I knew I would not get any use out of them myself, because I switched to natural products. Most of those I've already given away,  the small remainder I'll offer to other people soon.

I care about the environment a great deal. I recycle, try to eat as organic and animal-friendly as I can, and to waste as little as possible. Throwing something in the garbage is a huge deal for me. But I flicked a switch recently. Where I can I will always sell, donate or give things away, but if something is useless to anyone else and I'm only hanging on to it and letting it get even older, I'll have to throw it out eventually… So why not cut out those extra 3, 5, 10 years it would be lying in some cupboard taking up precious space, and just throw it out now?

Hopefully soon I will have minimal stock and only things in use that I actually like and that are working for me.

I'd love to hear from you! Are you in the same situation? Is it bugging you or is it more of a dormant problem? And do you think this is an easy place to start, or would you tackle something else first?

~

In "making things better" I share what is helping me better my life while hopefully inspiring others in the process. It might include things that either don't apply to you, or that you disagree with. That is fine too. Read it, think about it, and decide for yourself whether it can also make things better for you.

10 comments:

  1. I do tend to collect a hoard of crap to be honest, but it's the best feeling throwing it all out. If i was more sufficient I'd sell all my crap on like my best friend does but I'm more of a 'if i want it gone I want it gone NOW' kind of person lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strategy of just getting rid of things right away definitely eliminates two pitfalls: having that box sit in your house for ages because you never get round to dealing with it, or shoving your stuff onto someone else and having them take over your problem. (Sometimes you can make people really happy with something, but you have to make sure they really want or need it.)
      Anyway, good luck with decluttering!

      Delete
  2. I am the same way!! I usually get and save things for a DIY and then I end up not using it. I must say, I've gotten so much better at throwing things in the donate bin or in the trash! It feels like a really good exfoliator, getting rid of useless items!! It also makes me feel better knowing that someone might need it in the future, so I try to donate anything I can!!

    xoxox, Naomi | http://bunnyandfawn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The thought of helping someone else by getting rid of something you don't need and them getting and actually using it, is super helpful to me as well.
      And those project ideas that stay ideas sound quite familiar to me as well;)

      Delete
  3. For the longest time I had been collecting a bunch of Bath and Body Works products...like I seriously had a problem and didn't even realize it until I came home after buying a bunch more products from them to find the collection that was steadily growing... So to stop that I got rid of a bunch of lotions and body washing that were several years old and I have "banned" myself from buying anymore lotions or body washes until I finish up the ones that I have! I'm just going to really have to avoid them when they have new products and their amazing semi-annual sales!! Dx But yes I feel you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes something has to get bad in order to have that aha-moment and be able to snap out of it. And I can very much relate to your story! My problem shops were Lush and the Body Shop. Needless to say I'm not stepping into any of them any time soon.

      And I have a little tip that might help… if there are any of those amazing flash sales, just plan something else that day. That way you won't have time to even visit it. Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work! ;)

      Delete
  4. This is so funny, I never throw anything away but yesterday I took out three bags to the trash of junk, it definitely felt liberating and I knew deep down I had no use, now would anyone else for such random assortment of things I'd been hoarding :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear it! And it can be liberating:) I used to hate getting rid of stuff, but I've had this change in mindset and now I also feel a weight being lifted off my shoulders when I do discard. (Not to say that I'm not still having a hard time with it sometimes, but) I now know I'll love the space I'll have freed, and I also know I'll be able to enjoy the things I am keeping more.

    Anyway, great job! I hope you'll enjoy the extra room you created too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm totally with you on this - I have such a hard time throwing stuff away but sometimes you've just got to! Toiletries is a great place to start. I have the same habits, and this has rather inspired me to bite the bullet and deal with the things I'll never use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to read your comment:) And whenever I learn new things or pick up nice little tips during my whole decluttering process I'll be sure to continue sharing them here.

      Anyway, good luck!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...