Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Midori Takaki and the European Makers Gallery

Since I first found -and blogged about- Midori Takaki, I've been following her every artistic move on her blog. The more of her work I see, the more I love it. And so when I had the chance to see some of it in the flesh, I made sure to take it.


I've always admired Midori's art online, but standing before her sculptures, I felt like I wasn't just looking at them, but meeting them too. Midori's creations aren't just pretty visually, but each and every one has real character and presence. You can sense that in pictures online, but if you can ever experience it in person, I highly recommend it.


Should you be visiting Amsterdam, you can still view the three sculptures above at the European Makers Gallery. The small gallery half below ground is a true hidden treasure full of beautiful ceramics, textiles, glass and paintings!


The set-up is absolutely wonderful! There's a lot to see, but everything has enough space to be admired separately and up close. And the grey and white space combined with the great lighting lets you really take in all the art work.


Also, there are a few pieces to discover away from the main area as well. As you enter there is a space behind the main desk and a few works of art will also welcome you or wave goodbye through a low window outside.


Amsterdam is such a wonderful place for art! Most tourists visit the museums and are willing to stand in line for hours to get in, but I feel galleries are often overlooked, which is such a waste, because there are so many great ones! Especially gathered on and around the Spiegelgracht. (Which is where you'll also find the European Makers Gallery!) So if you're planning a trip to Amsterdam and you like (contemporary) art, make sure to put it on your itinerary!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the tour! They look happy there. How lovely! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man, I didn't even know this gallery existed! I would totally have made a trip up to Amsterdam just for it if I was still there. Speaking of which, I miss the Netherlands very very much and the last picture of the building exterior is enough to make me all sniffly.

    I hope you are well Laura! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they really make my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...